Skip to Main Content

Planned Giving

70½? Use Your IRA Rollover to Make a Tax-free Gift

If you are required to take a minimum distribution from your IRA, and are at least 70½ , you can make yearly tax-free gifts to Kalamazoo College. To do so simply contact your IRA account administrator to request a charitable rollover from your IRA be sent to Kalamazoo College.

The Details

  • Must be 70½ before transferring funds
  • To qualify as tax-free, your gift must be directly transferred from your IRA account to the College
  • The transfer may qualify—in part or in whole—for your yearly-required minimum distribution
  • Gift must be made by December 31 to qualify for that tax year
  • Maximum amount per year eligible for tax-free transfer from IRA is $100,000
  • If you have a spouse (as defined by the IRS) who is 70½ or older and has an IRA, he or she can also give up to $100,000 from his or her IRA
  • The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you will receive the benefit even if you do not itemize your tax deductions


For questions or more information, please contact Matthew Brosco, Esq. at 269-337-7288 or

Gifts to Kalamazoo College are tax deductible to the extent provided by law. No goods or services will be provided to you in exchange for this contribution.

Personal Estate Planning Kit Request Form

Please provide the following information to view the materials for planning your estate.

First name is required
Last Name is required
Please include an '@' in the email address