Skip to Main Content

Planned Giving

Time to sell your stock? If you do, you might have to pay capital gains taxes. There is a better option that provides you with valuable tax incentives as well as the satisfaction of supporting a cause close to your heart: Give your stock to Kalamazoo College.

When you give K appreciated securities that you've owned for more than one year, you will receive two tax benefits:

  1. You are entitled to a federal income tax deduction based on the current fair market value of the securities, regardless of their lower original cost.
  2. You will be exempt from paying capital gains taxes on any increase in value—taxes you would pay if you sold the stock.

Reap the Rewards

To realize full tax benefits from your gift, keep the following IRS guidelines in mind:

  • Donate long-term appreciated property. For short-term assets (owned one year or less), only the amount you originally paid is deductible.
  • Watch the ceiling. The gift deduction for long-term capital gain property is limited to 30 percent of your adjusted gross income in the year of your gift, but the excess is deductible over the next five years.

How to Make a Gift of Stock

To transfer securities electronically, you and/or your broker should contact Tim Baker, Director of Advancement Services, at or 269.337.5729 to obtain the appropriate account information. Your gift will be valued by using the mean of the high and low of the stock on the day that it passes to Kalamazoo College's control.

You may hand deliver stock certificates to Kalamazoo College. Our Business Office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. As the College offices are closed on and around some holidays, please call 269.337.7229 to ensure staff availability.

Finally, you may send unendorsed stock certificates directly to Kalamazoo College, preferably by registered mail. You MUST include a signed transmittal letter indicating your name(s) exactly as it/they appear on the certificates. A signed stock power form [PDF, 14Kb] executed in blank (no named transferee) must be mailed separately with a copy of the transmittal letter. Please contact a Development Office staff member for assistance in executing this process.

Questions? We're Here to Help

To discuss using your stock holdings to support our mission, feel free to contact Matthew Brosco, Esq. at 269-337-7288 or Together with your advisor, we can help you fulfill your charitable goals and protect your assets from unnecessary taxes.

Gifts to Kalamazoo College are tax deductible to the extent provided by law. No goods or services will be provided to you in exchange for this contribution.

Personal Estate Planning Kit Request Form

Please provide the following information to view the materials for planning your estate.

First name is required
Last Name is required
Please include an '@' in the email address